The capital city of Thimphu has thus become every travelerís dream to witness the Bhutanese way of life and culture.
About ThimphuThimphu is the capital of Bhutan. It is the only capital which has the feeling of the city. It is pretty much catching up with westernization. Since it is the capital, it is the most populated place. Even though they are catching up with the new world, they still have some rules to preserve their culture. Thimphu has something or the other to everyone from traditional to modern culture and it is a must place to visit in Bhutan.
Thimphu sightseeingThimphu also spelled as Thimbu, is situated at central Bhutan being the capital city of the Himalayan Kingdom. Surrounded by lofty mountains and the shimmering stream of Thimphu Chu, Thimphu has become one of the most popular tourist destinations to visit. There are many Thimphu sightseeing places to explore for adorning the flawless blend of the indigenous Bhutanese culture with the modern tradition. Here are some places for youngsters to have a wonderful vacation in Thimphu.
1. Memorial Chorten: Place to worship for BhutaneseThe National Memorial Chorten is one of the most prominent Buddhist religious structures in Thimphu. It is a focus of daily worship for many Bhutanese. This Tibetan-style Chorten was built by the late Queen for her son, Bhutanís third king. Every day from dawn till dusk elderly people and youngsters alike circumambulate the Chorten. Many religious ceremonies are also conducted in the Chorten.
- Large prayer wheels
- Beautiful Mandalas painted on the walls
- An open balcony for a perfect view of the city
2. Buddha Dordenma: Blessed with the largest Buddhist statueThe Buddha Dordenma is an iconic monument which is sitting on the top of a forested hill. To be viewed from any part of the city, this place has a massive statue of Shakyamuni Buddha. It is one of the largest Buddha Statue in Bhutan measuring at a height of 51.5 meters. Many Bhutanese youths visit this place for spending time and explore the beauty of the temple.
- Shakyamuni Buddha
- Khuensel Phodrang Nature Park
- A large chapel
- 125,000 gold statues of Buddha
3. Tashichho Dzong: Finest example of Bhutanese cultureIt is one of the most beautiful Dzongs in Thimphu. In recent times it serves as a government building where government, king offices, and ministries are put up. It is a historic landmark which was once beautiful monastery with the most popular festival, Thimphu Tshechu to be held in the courtyard of this monastery. A fine example of Bhutanese architecture, it is very famous among the tourists as well as the youngsters.
- Statues and paintings inside the monastery
- The surrounding gardens of the monastery
4. National Institute for Zorig Chusum: Preservation of Bhutanese art for the youngstersThis museum not only preserves the Bhutanese Art but it also passes it on to the next generation. Watching young people work with attention is quite mesmerizing and inspiring mostly for the youngsters. The demonstrations of the crafts are awe-inspiring and it is hard not to be impressed by the skill of the young students.
- Young people working in the thirteen sections of crafts
5. Clock Tower Square- A pleasurable architectural marvel of ThimphuIt is0 one of the most popular architectural marvels and is a pleasure to the eyes. It is a tower with four clock faces which makes it different from any other building or structure in Bhutan. The visitors can take a walk around the tower by spinning the prayer wheels, watching the performances and purchasing at the shops near the tower making it one of the best places to hang out for young people.
- Shops, Cafes, Restaurants
- Prayer wheels
- Long dragons facing the clock
6. Authentic Bhutanese Crafts Bazaar: Perfect blend for destined shoppersThe Authentic Bhutanese Crafts Bazaar is also known as the handicrafts bazaar of Thimphu is a perfect place to get a glimpse of the art and craft of Bhutan. As you enter the place the people will welcome you with smiles and most of them are youngsters. The shops are made of eco-friendly bamboo and one will definitely get amazed at the beautiful handicrafts display inside the shops.
- Clothes or batches
- Symbolic statues
- Local handicrafts and many more