The annual Mushroom Festival is held at the picturesque Ura valley in Bumthang of Bhutan. Visitors can learn to identify the fabled mushrooms if they want to participate in the mushroom picking excursions around the magnificent valley during the Mushroom Festival. In this festival, they will be able to taste the delicious Mushroom recipes, engage in songs as well as masked dances together with the locals and also relax in traditional open-air mineral baths. Furthermore, you can also experience the night stay at one of the many comfortable home stays and enjoy the hospitality of the local people of Ura Valley.
Ura Valley- Hub of Matsutake Mushrooms:Perched at an elevation of 3100mt Ura Valley is the highest valley of Bumthang district. It is located at a distance of 48km from the Jakar town. Ura valley is surrounded by the lush terraced field and lofty hills dotted with alpine trees. Ura valley is known for its scenic view of beautiful meadows and verdant valley. The medieval setup of the scenically blessed Ura Valley has attracted tourists from around the globe who travel to Bhutan. The hilly region of Ura Valley is known for producing some of Bhutanís best matsutake mushrooms which are world famous and its festival called Matsutake festival celebrated where stalls are put up to served mushrooms in unique style and recipes.
Access to Ura Valley-You can reach Jakar is either by taking a flight from your nearest airport to Bathpalathang Airport or by reaching to the nearest railhead, i.e. New Jalpaiguri Railway Station. And then you can hire a cab or rent a taxi to reach Ura Valley.
A brief idea about the Mushroom Festival in Ura Valley, Bumthang-Every year since 2008, when the festival was first initiated, hundreds of people including tourists gather at Ura valley to observe the festival. Tourists from all over the world come to participate in mushroom picking activity during the annual mushroom festival. This mushroom only grows in abundance in Ura valley. The mushroom is well-known for its-
- Delicious Taste
- Several Nutritional Values
- Aphrodisiac Properties
- Medicinal Properties That Help In Fighting Different Cancers
Few interesting about this festival that you must know-
Here, we give you a brief idea about this festival:
1. Duration of Mushroom Festival:It was 2days celebration. This year the festival will start on 23rd August and end on 24th August.
2.You can learn to identify and pick mushrooms:You can learn to identify matsutake along with other edible mushrooms and get on with your mushroom hunting excursions. During your journey, you can enjoy and explore the pristine woods and the beautiful valley sight. You can also try some matsutake recipes of your own with the mushrooms that you pick.
3. Explore Singing and dancing in Ura:You can enjoy the festival by engaging in songs and dances performed by the locals. You can also choose to take part in it. The mask dances and songs are all native to the valley.
4. Rejuvenate yourself with mineral bath:After the exhausting mushroom hunt, you can opt to rejuvenate and relax by taking an open-air mineral bath.
Get a customized package for your Bhutan trip with us-If you want to make a holiday plan in Bhutan to explore the Mushroom Festival in this month along with other sightseeing places, donít take too much time to think to get in touch with us. Bhutan Packages is the most reliable travel agency in Bhutan that will make your trip more conveniently. We provide the most affordable holiday packages in Bhutan with all modern amenities that suit your budget. Popular FAQs- Q. What are the other famous festivals in Bumthang? A. There are many famous festivals organized in Bumthang, such as-
- Jambay Lhakhang Drup (Start date- 24.10.2018, End date- 26.10.2018)
- Jakar Tshechu (Start date- 17.10.2018, End date- 20.10.2018)
- Shingkhar Radhey (Start date- 15.10.2018, End date- 18.10.2018)
- Tamshing Phala Chhoepa (Start date- 07.10.2018, End date- 09.10.2018)
- Thangbi Mani (Start date- 23.09.2018, End date-25.09.2019)